Fabric expansion joints
Fabric expansion joints provide almost unlimited flexibility (allowing movements in various directions simultaneously) and numerous design possibilities since they can be manufactured in any size and shape: circular, square, rectangular, oval, conical or combinations of these. They are also very easy to handle and install. Excellent resistance to corrosion and high temperatures adds to their great capacity for insulation, air/water-tightness and vibration and noise suppression.
Codinor designs and manufactures fabric expansion joints from the most simple, with a fabric layer, to the most complex constructions with several layers of technical fabric, taking the thermal, chemical and mechanical resistance as well as the fatigue properties of the materials into account.
Codinor’s experience in this field is available to help customers find solutions to the most extreme conditions, such as those in desulphurization and waste incineration plants, thermal power stations, refineries, etc. The company specializes in expansion joints for applications that include gas turbine systems with extreme temperatures and extensive movements for the marine and land industry.
Codinor’s manufacturing covers the elastic elements of the fabric, including independent, open or closed band-shape and/or with flanges, mounted on metal support frames adapting to all kinds of specifications, given that the company has its own boiler-making workshop.
COMPONENTS OR PARTS OF A FABRIC COMPENSATOR
- Flexible elastic band: Its purpose is to absorb the vibration and thermal movements of the conduit. It may be single, combined elastomer and fabric, or compound, constructed based on layers of several materials. The distribution of the layers, in the most complex case, would be:
- Reinforcement in the flanges area, which protects the expansion joint and adds thermal resistance in this area.
- Exterior covering, which protects the expansion joints from external aggressions.
- Especially developed for resisting adverse environmental conditions, acidic and corrosive environments and harsh weather conditions. The outside layers are silicon fiberglass fabric or with PTFE, PVC, etc.
- Water/air-tight membrane, impermeable, highly chemical resistant, of PTFE or elastomer.
- Insulation, which guarantees the operation of the expansion joint in optimal conditions, also reducing heat losses.
- Fiberglass or silicon fabrics that protect the insulating material, and support thermal shock and chemical attack.
- Stainless steel mesh provides the joint added mechanical dimension and dimensional stability.
- Metallic counterflanges: fasten the flexible band to the flanges on the conduit or to the metallic frames. They can be screwed or mounted with clamps, which enables fast replacement or repositioning of the flexible band.
- Additional internal installation, with fiberglass fabric or metallic mesh. Elastic cushion that fills the cavity between the expansion joint and the internal metallic deflectors, protecting the joint against high internal temperatures and abrasion from dust or ash.
- Installed when so required due to operating conditions.
- Metallic deflectors: extend the life of the expansion joint by protecting it from direct contact with the fluid, offering mechanical protection against abrasion or services with high-speed gases. Codinor designs and builds the metallic fastening connections of the joint to the conduit according to the requirements of each installation.